The Sanford Police Department offers the availability of hiring officers for details and special functions, some examples include:
- Traffic Control
- Road Construction
- Sporting events
- Special functions
Officers are assigned to these events after screening and posting of all requests received. Certain types of events may not be eligible for the hiring of officers.Fees
are outlined below:
|Hourly Per Officer
||4 Hour Minimum
|Administrative Fee *
||Per Hour Per Officer
1. Officers are hired in four (4) or eight (8) hour blocks. A minimum of four (4) hours is required for each officer hired. Hours other than four (4) hour blocks may be approved by the shift commander subject to the four (4) hour minimum. Example
: A request for a six (6) hour detail may be split into two (2) three (3) hour blocks, but subject to the four (4) hour minimum per block.
2. Pre-payment is required unless waived by the Chief of Police or his designee.
3. Job cancellations, made with a minimum of two (2) hours notice, will be considered reasonable and no payment will be required. Job cancellations, with less than two (2) hours notice, will require payment (four (4) hours minimum). Payment will be the responsibility of the entity hiring the officer. As noted above, jobs are scheduled in four (4)-hour blocks, partial cancellations are subject to this provision. Hiring entities are required to give two (2) hours notice for any oncoming officers.
4. Details requested with less than 24 hours’ notice, may not have an officer assigned due to staffing issues.
5. Police officers will be required for any traffic control activities within an intersection controlled by a traffic light device. The Chief of Police or his designee will have the discretion to determine whether a detail officer will be required for a job affecting traffic, irrespective of other requirements of this policy. Additionally, unless two way traffic can be allowed in both directions at the same time, police officers will be required on the following streets:
- Main Street
- Lebanon Street
- Washington Street
- Cottage Street
- High Street
- School Street
- Oak Street
- Pleasant Street
- River Street
- Route 4
Q: What do I do if I need to change the hours?
A: Call the on-shift supervisor directly if any modifications need to be made to your request.
Q: What do I do if I need to change the number of officers I am requesting?
A: Call the on shift supervisor directly if any modifications need to be made to your request.
Q: Is the cruiser fee mandatory?
A: Only if the vehicle is required to perform the detail I.E. traffic control etc….
Q: What are the best times to start jobs based on the department schedule and 4 hour block minimums?
A: Best times based on the current police daily work schedules are to start jobs at 8:00 am, 12:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 8 pm ect…..
Q: What if my job goes over the allotted time I hired for?
A: You are responsible for additional time at a 4 hour block minimum rate.
Q: When can I find out if my job request was filled?
A: Jobs are filled three (3) days prior to the date of the requested job.
If you need a Sanford Traffic Control Permit, you can get the form here.
Name and Telephone Number required!