City Council Code of Conduct
1. A City Councilor will always treat a fellow City Councilor with the respect he or she would expect to receive in return.
2. A City Councilor will always address a citizen, employee, fellow committee member and fellow City Councilor with respect.
3. A City Councilor will not make accusatory remarks toward a citizen, employee,fellow committee member and fellow City Councilor.
4. A City Councilor will not make disparaging remarks, in or out of City Council or Committee meetings, about citizens, employees, fellow committee members and other members of the City Council.
5. A City Councilor will remember at all times that as an individual he or she has no legal authority outside the meetings of the City Council, and that he or she shall conduct relationships with the City Staff, the local citizenry, and all medium of communications, including any and all social media, on the basis of this fact.
6. A City Councilor may not give direction to City Staff but must make all requests through the City Manager’s Office with the full knowledge of the Mayor.
7. A City Councilor will listen to all citizens but will refer all complaints to the proper authorities, and will discuss such complaints only at a meeting after failure of an administrative solution.
8. A City Councilor will support a decision graciously once it has been made by the majority of the City Council. This rule shall not be construed to limit any member of the Sanford Town Council First Amendment Rights’ as guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution.
9. A City Councilor will not criticize employees publicly, but will make such criticism to the City Manager for investigation and action if necessary.
10. A City Councilor will not criticize a fellow City Councilor publicly, but will make such criticism to the Mayor of the City Council for investigation and action if
11. A City Councilor will make decisions only after all facts bearing on a question have been presented and discussed.
12. A City Councilor will not discuss the confidential business of the City Council in the home, on the street, or in the office; the place for such discussion being the City Council meeting.
13. A City Councilor recognizes that all electronic transmittals sent or received in the performance of their duties as a City Councilor is subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
14. A City Councilor shall endeavor at all times to work for the benefit of the citizens of the City of Sanford.
*Adopted this 5th day of January, 2021.